Thursday, June 3, 2010

Note to self....

Do not swim into the wall of the pool.

OK, so by now I guess it's getting out. I did something stupid and am embarrassed to even tell people.

I swam face first into the side of a pool.

No, I didn't dive into the pool. I was swimming across the short end of the pool with my scuba mask on and I guess it distorted my perception, as I simply didn't see the wall and swam full force, into it. If it weren't for my scuba mask, I'd probably have a broken nose and my forehead would be split open.

To say that I felt the impact of my head pressing into my spine would be an understatement. The pain was immediate and although I couldn't really move my head up and down too much, I could move it left to right. I hoped that the pain would go away and continued to swim a bit off and on, trying to ignore the pain. I wasn't really concerned about a concussion, because I didn't hit my head, but my face. My concern was the possibility of compressing a nerve or herniating a disc.

It didn't take long for the headache to set in and it continued on through to Tuesday. At that point, I called the chiropractor to tell them what happened and he suggested I come in for an x-ray. By the time I got there, I was nauseous and thought I was going to be sick. Wednesday came around and I was told that my x-rays were clean with no fractures, but driving, elevators and stairs made me sick and my headache had not dissipated.

By now, it's been 48 hours and for the 2nd time that day, my good friend Tracy recommended that I should call my regular MD because the nausea wasn't normal. Thankfully, I happen to be dating a resident neurosurgeon andafter talking to him, I decided to go to the ER. I was told this was something I should have done on Monday. Well, I swam into the wall of the pool. Obviously, I wasn't thinking all that clearly!

Tracy agreed to be my chauffeur for the evening and drove me to St. Joseph's Hospital in Towson. This would be my 3rd visit in three years. Although this was my longest wait in their ER ever, I have to admit, it still wasn't all that bad. We arrived around 9 pm and left around midnight. As usual, the staff were very nice and helpful. After an exam and a CT scan, it was determined that I had a concussion and was sent home with prescriptions for the pain and nausea and suggested a couple of days of rest.

Sadly, it actually took more time to get the pain prescription filled than it did to get through the ER. After last nights vicodine wore off, the headache returned and I was up at 6 am this morning. Worked out well I suppose as I had to wait for Comcast to come fix my DVR box. They arrived bright and early at 7:30 am and was out the door 20 minutes later. By 8 am, I was at Walgreens dropping off my prescriptions in hopes of relief. By 8:35 am, I found out there was a problem with my pain prescription and no such relief would be had for the next 8 hours as I repeatedly called the pharmacy to see if they'd reached someone at the hospital to give them the required DEA#. By 3 pm I gave up on the pharmacy getting what they needed and called my physician to call in the prescription. Relief finally came around 5 pm. Score again for the Good Dr!

So here I sit, updating my blog and hoping within a few days, I'll be back to running. This is yet another set back with the training for my 10 mile race, which is only a couple of weeks away. Let's hope I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment