Sunday, November 14, 2010

Officially in training for Tough Mudder

Tough Mudder is possibly the toughest event on the planet. The 7-12 mile course is designed by the British Arms Forces to test all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie Forget finish times. Simply completing a Tough Mudder is a badge of honor and it's a badge I want. www.toughmudder.com Footage can also be found on youtube.

I will be competing in a Tough Mudder obstacle course on April 9th at 11 am in Allentown, PA. I am sooo freak'n excited. Even better, my sweetheart will be competing with me. Feel free to come watch. Spectator tickets are $15, but I promise you, it will be an amazing event! Especially if I make to the end and get to run through a wall of fire!

However, the kink in this plan is that after the concussion/neck injury in late June, I've only done cardio and no strength training. Any muscle/strength I might have had is long gone. How can I possibly make it through a Tough Mudder obstacle course when at the moment, I have absolutely no upper body strength whatsoever?!?!?

Thus, training began. On Monday November ,I began my P90X workouts. I've even made it up at 6am for a full week! When I started P90X some time ago I was picking at random which of the 12 DVDs I wanted to do. This time, I am flowing the guide book. Tonight, I take my measurements and before picture and hopefully by April, I'll look something like Dreya above. Maybe not quite that good, but I'm hopeful. *smile* Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?!

I have a little less than 5 months to train. I even went out and bought my Iron Man "Gym" which hangs over my door to allow me to do my modified pull ups and chin ups and also is useful in my push ups. Yes, I can do modified push ups and pull ups in just two weeks! Woohoo!

I'm on my way to strength, stamina, mental grit and camaraderie!

Tough Mudder, here I come!!

1 comment:

  1. You should check out this:
    http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/2010/11/15/toughguy-competition-gets-praise-as-original-and-superior-to-tough-mudder/

    I am sorry but you might be a little disappointed, 1: DONT believe the hype, I did the first tough mudder in bear valley, It was 4 miles NOT 7 I Gps'd on my watch along with several others, there were huge line ups, 45 minutes because the obstacle could only hold 1 person at a time, the parking and generally everything about the day was hugely disorganized, I have done several other events like the warrior dash and the spartan race who I may say are hugely more organised and as tough. I later learned they have 2 lawsuits against them by the British Tough Guy Event as they took photos and claimed it was their event and generally stole the whole concept from them. BEWARE $180 for a 4 mile fun run with obstacles is WAY over priced.

    ReplyDelete